Do you think you know all there is to know about coffee? Did you know it is the 2nd highest traded commodity in the world? That’s a lot of coffee drinking!
Here are 10 more fun facts about coffee to test your knowledge or you can just toss these around the balcony and impress the family while on vacation. (Also, see below for a few hot coffee spots in the Miramar Beach/ Destin, Florida area you can check out while vacationing with Beach Condo in Destin.)
- Over 2.25 Billion cups of coffee are consumed per day!
It is the most popular drink in the world.
- Coffee is a fruit!
The coffee bean in not, in fact, a bean. Because they grow on a bush and are the “pit” from cherry-like blossoms, they classify as a fruit.
- Coffee helped Brazil to reach the Olympics in 1932.
Yep, it’s true. Brazil couldn’t afford to just send their athletes to the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles so they got creative and shipped them on a boat with coffee they could sell along the way!
- Espresso has one-third the caffeine of a cup of coffee, simply due to serving size differences.
Espresso is made by forcing very hot water under high pressure through finely ground, compacted coffee. That’s it. It’s not more potent as served.
- The most expensive coffee is made from cat poop
“Kopi Luwak” is the most expensive coffee in the world. It comes from Indonesia and is made from beans digested from the Asian Palm Civet. In other words, it comes from cat poop.
- There are two types of coffee.
Arabica was originally cultivated on the Arabian Peninsula. Robusta coffee comes from a more hardy plant and has double the amount of caffeine. I’ll take a triple Robusta, please!
- Coffee was first consumed in Africa by chewing it, not sipping it.
An African tribe would make energy balls from coffee beans by grinding the berries, adding animal fat, rolling the mix into little balls and then chewing them.
- Excelso or Supremo do not mean a better quality of coffee when used to describe coffee beans, it refers to the size of the coffee bean.
- Add cream to keep your coffee warmer, longer.
Now, I haven’t tested this one myself but the food science geeks at Modernist Cuisine explain why the laws of physics actually prove this to be true. Curious about the details? Check them out here.
- Hawaii and California are the only US states that grow coffee.
Hawaii has been doing it since before it was even a state. California just started in 2002
Now that you’ve “wow’d” the family with your superior coffee trivia and established yourself as the coffee connoisseur, take them to check out a few of our favorite spots in the Destin/Miramar Beach area.
Let us know which ones are your faves or better yet, share some photos with us! We love to hear and see our guests enjoying themselves and making memories.